Well, this had been rumored about for quite some time, and now we officially know…Diablo II is getting the remastered treatment.
While I’d like to say that I’m super-jazzed about this, I’m withholding any excitement for later on. After all, we’re talking about a 20-year-old game that I have invested a ridiculous amount of time in over the years, so I’m unsure if a new coat of paint will fire me back up to any considerable degree. Of course, I try not to get too excited about ANYTHING (to keep the disappointment that is my life to a more manageable level), so that’s pretty much par-for-the course for me. (Hey, this site isn’t The Positive Gamer, so what do ya expect?)
Anyways, the game does look quite good, and there’s just NO WAY Blizzard is going to fumble another remaster like they did with Warcraft III: Reforged.
Scope out the announcement trailer below:
The game will be coming soon to Xbox Series X (that name will NEVER stop sounding stupid), Xbox One, Playstation 5, Playstation 4, PC and Switch. Diablo II: Resurrected features the following:
- Remastered versions of Diablo II and the Lord of Destruction expansion
- 4K resolution
- Completely new visuals with 3D physically-based models
- 27 minutes of remade cinematics
- The ability to instantly switch to the classic version of the game
- Cross-progression support across Windows® PC and participating platforms
- “…and much more!” yadda, yadda, yadda
The game is set to release sometime this year, but you can opt-in for the “Technical Alpha” now at diablo2.com. (It’s unknown if the Alpha is PC-only or not, but I’d be highly surprised if that weren’t the case.)