If you’ve purchased the digital download version of Diablo III and finding the download speed with Blizzard’s patcher to be complete shite, try this:
- Open up Internet Explorer
- Press Alt+X to open the Tools menu
- Click on “Internet Options”
- Click on the “Connections” tab
- Click on “LAN Settings”
- Uncheck the “Automatically detect settings” option and click “Okay”
Blizzard’s patcher app uses the connection settings in Internet Explorer (even if I.E. isn’t your default web browser), and by disabling the “Automatically detect settings” option, you are likely to see a dramatic increase in download speed. Even today, when the servers are getting absolutely hammered with activity, I saw my download speed go from an average of 180kbps to 1mbps after changing that setting.